Skip to content
Contact Us   |  Councillors / Meetings   |  Compliments and complaints   |  Voting / Elections   |  About us   |  Finance / Performance
Contact Customer Services

Changes to Housing Benefit and Council Tax support appointment booking

Do it online

Monday 17 September.

From Friday 21 September, you won't be able to make appointments online for enquiries about Housing Benefit or Council Tax support.

You'll still be able to contact us online if you need help and advice and we'll direct your enquiry to the right department who may decide that an appointment is appropriate.

If you've contacted us online and a department has decided that an appointment would be appropriate, they'll contact you to make arrangements for you to come in and see us at either the Sheppey Gateway or the main Council offices in Swale House, Sittingbourne.

Contacting us online

If you've got an enquiry about an existing Housing Benefit or Council Tax support claim, please include any reference numbers you may have so we can direct your enquiry as quickly as possible.

If you're contacting us about a new claim, you may need to apply for Universal Credit instead. You can visit the Can I claim page to find our more.

To contact us online, you can use our contact form.



The above regulations will come into force on Monday 1 October 2018 and will have an impact on establishments licensed under the previous animal health legislation. This includes those previously licensed as:


·         pet shops

·         catteries

·         kennels

·         home boarders

·         dog crèche

·         riding establishments

·         dog breeders

·         performing animals


For more information, you can visit


You can apply for a licence provided you meet the licensing conditions and you’ve not been disqualified from holding a licence under regulation 11, section 8 of the regulations including if you’ve been disqualified under section 4(1) of the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991.

For more information on conditions, you can visit

You’ll need to pay a fee as part of your application.

After you apply

After you’ve applied for a licence, you’ll receive an inspection from one of our licensing officers and an independent veterinary surgeon. We’ll assess the premises to make sure it’s maintaining the standards that are expected, including whether the animals are being kept in appropriate conditions.

The licensing officer will rate the premises based on the level of risk. Premises that have no documented history of compliance will receive a higher risk rating automatically. Your risk rating will help to determine how long your licence will last.

For more information, you can download our guidance notes and FAQ.


Your licence will last for either one, two or three years, depending on the premises’ risk rating and level of compliance, with premises representing low risk and identified as maintain high standards, receiving upto a five star rating.

You’ll need to complete a new application at least 10 weeks before your existing licence expires.

For more information, you can download our guidance notes and FAQ.

A to Z of Services :
A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z