Skip to main content

Following the government's announcement on Monday 4 January 2021, you must follow national lockdown guidelines. For more information, visit GOV.UK. For information about changes to our services, visit our coronavirus section.

Due to essential maintenance, searches for both planning applications and stray dogs will be unavailable this Saturday, 12 June along with some our other online services, like Council Tax payments and missed bin reports. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience.

Advice for Taxi and Private Hire Drivers and Operators during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak

Licensing during the coronavirus outbreak

We’re still carrying out Taxi and private hire licensing but there may be considerable delays due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.

Street knowledge tests

Street knowledge tests are taking place using social distancing measures with two individuals at a time. Tests are on a first come first served basis and the next available tests are current February, 2021.

We are issuing plates and drivers are sent an appointment to collect on a specific day and time.

Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks are being processed but will take longer than usual to process.

If you're a taxi or private hire driver, you can continue to work but you should follow the government's advice about social distancing.

Visit the Institute of Licensing for advice about carrying passengers during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.

To volunteer your time, free of charge, to help deliver food and supplies to people in Swale during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, visit our Community Response page.

Vehicle inspections

You should still get your vehicle inspected when it's due.

You can download a list of Council approved testing stations (PDF 141kb).

Renewing licences

When you renew a licence, we’ll issue you with an necessary documents to prove you’re licenced to carry passengers.

Renewing a vehicle licence

We're still issuing vehicle plates. If you're not intending to renew a plate, you should tell us by emailing

If you don't work because of the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, you may be eligible for the government's Self-employment Income Support Scheme.

To renew an existing licence, you should email our Licensing Team at You'll need to include:

You'll need to make a payment to complete your application. You'll need a debit or credit card.

If your renewal application is successful, we'll send you a paper licence together with a letter which you must carry with you when you're working to prove that you're licensed. You'll need to leave your vehicle's existing plate in place.

Renewing a driver's licence

If you don't need a DBS check or a medical, you can renew your driver's licence online. We'll issue you with a paper licence and a letter confirming that you're licensed. You'll need to carry these with you when you work. If a DBS check is needed, it may take longer than usual to process. Please allow at least 60 days.

If you need a medical but you’re GP isn’t providing appointments at the moment, they’ll need to send us a letter or an email from your confirming this. Your GP can email

Once you’ve renewed your licence, we'll give you a temporary badge for four months.

We use cookies

Our website uses cookies to monitor the way you use it, helping to make your experience better. By continuing to use this site or clicking "accept cookies", you agree to our cookies. Cookie policy