Skip to main content

If you’re struggling this winter, we could help

Published Thursday 16 December, 2021
Last updated on Friday 11 March, 2022

People struggling to pay their bills, buy warm clothes or feed their family this winter could be eligible for support from Swale Borough Council.

The council has received government funding to help support local people who are struggling because of the impact of covid.

Anyone in rent or mortgage arrears, struggling to pay their council tax or utility bills, or need help while self-isolating should get in touch with the council to see what help might be available to them.

Cllr Ben Martin, cabinet member for housing at the council, said:

“We’ve received money from the government to help people on the local level who need our support.

“Covid has had many knock-on effects in the local community. People are struggling to pay their bills and feed their families.

“With this funding, we’ll be helping people who are struggling to meet their household bills, who are self-isolating or having trouble buying food to feed their family.

“There’s no amount of money that is too big or small to apply for. We’ll be assessing each case on its own merit and doing what we can to help meet outstanding rent or mortgage payments, council tax or utility bill arrears, providing food boxes, baby supplies and warm clothing.

“Last week we helped a single mum of two with vouchers to buy winter coats for her children because, although she was just managing to pay her rent, she had no money left over for clothing.

“If you need help this winter, please get in touch to see what we can do to help.”

Cllr Ghlin Whelin, deputy cabinet member for housing at the council; said:

“The fear of losing your home because you can’t pay your bills, or not being able to feed your family because you’ve lost your job is something more people are experiencing than we think.

“We’re here to help. Don’t delay, get in touch with our prevention team to see what help is available to you.”

If you’re struggling with things like household bills, rent, food or clothing, you may be eligible for the Household Support Fund (HSF).

For more information, and to apply for support, visit our HSF page.