Skip to main content

Motion passed to end violence against women and children

Published Wednesday 6 April, 2022
Last updated on Wednesday 6 April, 2022

Swale Borough Council’s motion to condemn violence of any kind against women and children has been passed by councillors.

Councillors agreed to pass the motion at last week’s council meeting (Wednesday, 30 March 2022), committing the council to do all they can to champion the rights and entitlements of women and children.

Cllr Hannah Perkin, deputy cabinet member for health and wellbeing at the council said:

“Putting the motion forward was really important to me.

“One woman is killed by a man every three days according to the national crime statistics in the UK. Violence against women is endemic and we have to do everything we can to change this”

“Alongside the work that we’re already doing, we’re also asking the council leader to write to the Home Secretary to ask for an urgent royal commission into male violence against women, for public sexual harassment to be made a crime and to increase investment in services for victims.

“Investing in refuges, mental health services and legal aid support for all victims of male violence would go a long way to support women and girls who are the victims of violence.”

Cllr Corrie Woodford, ward member for Bobbing, Iwade and Lower Halstow who seconded the motion, said:

“We are a white ribbon accredited council who believe all forms of hate crime have no place in modern society.

“Perpetrators of serious violence usually have a history of inflicting abuse and harassment against women and children and tackling this gives us the chance to dismantle this culture.

“We’ll continue to support our Community Safety Unit, Kent Police, schools and other local agencies and charities to deliver the Violence Against Women and Girls action plan to eradicate this violence.”