Skip to content
Do It Online   |  My Services   |  Planning   |  Council tax   |  Bins and recycling   |  Parking and roads   |  Housing
Contact Council Tax

Council tax explained

What is council tax?

It is the local taxpayer's contribution towards the cost of services provided.

It is an important part of the financing of local government. The present system was bought into effect from 1 April 1993 and replaced the Community Charges system.

It helps to pay for the spending of the local authorities in your area. The rest of the spending is provided by:

Council Tax is the local taxpayer's contribution towards the cost of services provided. Swale Borough Council collects it on behalf of Kent County Council, Kent Police and Crime Commissioner, Kent Fire and Rescue and the Town and Parish Councils, as well as the charge for its own services.

Find out more information on what services your council tax pays for on our what does council tax pay for page.

What council tax band is my property?

You can use our 'Find Your Nearest' service, simply put in your post code and select the council tax option.

Valuation bandings

Most properties will be subject to council tax. There will be one notice per property whether it is owned or rented. Properties include houses, bungalows, flats, maisonettes, mobile homes, holiday chalets and houseboats. Each property has been allocated to one of the following eight bands according to its open market value as at 1 April 1991.

Ranges of values Valuation band Monthly amount

Values not exceeding £40,000

Value £40,001 to £52,000

Value £52,001 to £68,000

Value £68,001 to £88,000

Value £88,001 to £120,000

Value £120,001 to £160,000

Value £160,001 to £320,000

Values exceeding £320,000

















Right of appeal

You may appeal against the banding of your property under certain limited conditions.

Making an appeal does not allow you to withhold payment of council tax owing in the meantime. You may also appeal if you consider that you are not the liable person to pay council tax. More information is available from the Valuation Office Agency website.

Feedback form:
Was this information helpful?
Thanks for letting us know your views!
This feedback will be used to improve our online service. We cannot respond to specific requests.
It's good but
How can we make this section better?
A to Z of Services :
A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z