Skip to content
Commissioning and procurement   |  Jobs   |  Volunteering   |  Licensing   |  Business rates   |  Support for business

Get advice for residents and businesses following the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, including guidance on making your business COVID-secure.

Contact the Licensing Team

Licences and fees

Do it online

You can download our:

As well as the 3 July licensing newsletter, you can also download:

The Licensing Act 2003/Gambling Act 2005 and the licences you will need to apply for through Swale Borough Council.

Licensing Act 2003

We deal with applications for the following Licences:

Application forms are available to download, but to ensure you are completing the correct form(s) contact the Licensing team. The list of current applications for premises licences is available online.

There have been changes to the regulations regarding 'Regulated Entertainment' as set out under the Live Music Act 2012 and the Licensing Act 2003 (Descriptions of Entertainment) (amendment) Order 2013.

When submitting your premises licence application you must also submit copies of all current licences and a plan of the premises, drawn to a scale of 1:100 with external areas 1:500. A copy of the application and plan must be given to the following:

The fees are based on the Non Domestic Rateable Value of your premises. As follows:

*Annual fees are payable on each anniversary of the licence, reminder letters are sent out when this is due.

Personal Licences will be £37.00
Transfer of a Premises Licence or change of DPS = £23.00
Change of personal details = £10.50

Village/Church Halls and Schools that only provide regulated entertainments are exempt from fees.

New and variation applications must also be advertised by the applicant in the local paper, a Public Notice will be issued by the Council which must also be displayed on the premises.

For Personal Licences:

You are required to submit:

We also require the original Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders Licensing Qualification. A basic DBS check should be carried out. For more information, you can download our guidance notes (PDF 187kb).

You can pay for a personal licence online.

Change of circumstances

If you hold a personal licence and your circumstances have changed, you'll need to tell us your new details and make a payment for a duplicate licence.

You can make a payment for a duplicate licence online.

If you are a late night refreshment house:

For example a Chinese Takeaway and you serve hot food between the hours of 11pm and 5am, you will also require a premises licence. Irrespective of whether or not you sell alcohol.

For Temporary events:

A Temporary Event Notice (TEN) is required, these cost £21.00 each and forms are available on requested please contact the Licensing Team. Applications must be made at least 10 working days prior to the event to be considered a standard TEN, however a late TEN can also be made which is given not before 9 working days and not later than 5 working days before the event, please note that the day of service is not counted. The event must last no more than 168 hours and can be held either outdoors or indoors. Any premises can only be used for 12 Temporary Events per year, up to a total maximum of 21 days. If you have a personal licence, you can give 50 TENs (made up of standard and late TENs) a year; if you don't have a personal licence you can only give 5 (made up of standard and late TENs). If you have a personal licence, you can give 10 late TENs a year; if you don't have a personal licence you can only give 2 late TENs.

You can pay for a temporary events notice online.

Fair Processing Notice

We are required by law to protect the public funds we administer. We may share information provided to us with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds in order to prevent and detect fraud. The Audit Commission currently requires us to participate in its anti-fraud initiative. For this initiative, we are providing details of Personal Licenses for the Supply of Alcohol for the purposes of comparing these with information provided by other public bodies. This will ensure that no licenses are being granted to persons who are not entitled and that license income is being declared when housing benefit is applied for.

Sometimes licenses are granted because of a genuine error. Previous exercises have uncovered instances where income has not been declared when claiming benefits. These exercises, therefore, help ensure the best use of public funds.

If you require more information on the National Fraud Initiative full details can be found at the Audit Commission website, or if you have any questions please contact the Head of Mid Kent Audit Partnership on 01795 417122 or contact the Licensing Team.

To view our Licensing Policy view: Swale Licensing Policy.

A complete register of all our Licensed Premises is available for viewing at the Council Offices, during office hours. For more information you can read our premises licence consultation

Premises in Swale with appeals/committees pending.

None at present

The Gambling Act 2005

We deals with applications for Gambling Premises Licences and Gaming Machine Permits; as well as charitable lottery license.

To apply for a Premises Licence you must first hold an Operators Licence and Personal Licence, which are obtained from The Gambling Commission.

Application forms are available, please contact the Licensing Team, the fees for each licence are as follows:

Find out more information on our Gambling Policy, or for additional information on the Gambling Act go to the Culture Website or Gambling Commission.

You can pay for a Premises licence online. You can also pay for a Gambling Premises licence online.

Street Trading

Street trading is defined as the sale, exposure or offering of any article in the street (including a living thing); a highway is described as a place that the public have an access to at any other time.

You do not need a street trading licence or consent if you are:

If you are trading on private land you may not need consent, depending on the distance from the highway, and if you are a shop and the display of goods form part of the main business this may also not require consent, depending on the location of the stall.

Application forms are available, please contact the Licensing Team.

Street Trading consent costs as of 1st April 2012:

Find out more information on Swale's Street Trading Policy.

You can pay for a Street Trading licence online.

Sex Establishments Licensing

The following types of establishments require a licence:

This is not an exhaustive list, please contact the Licensing Team for more information.

Sex Establishment licence costs:

Find out more information on Swale's Sex Establishment Policy (PDF 291kb).

You can pay for a sex establishment licence online.

Unlicensed Family Entertainment Centre (UFEC) 

A UFEC is only entitled to make category D machines available. 

New, Renewal or Change of name of UFEC Permits 

For any amendments regarding the UFEC, please go to this link from the Gambling Commission for more information and details how to apply for the appropriate change.

Renewal of UFEC gaming permit 

The entity making machines available on the premises (the arcade operator) does not need a Gambling Commission operating licence.

However, the entity supplying machines to the business (the machine supplier) must be licensed by the Gambling Commission. 

All application forms should emailed to the licensing team at

Payments can also be made online using our license payment form

If you have any queries about the above, please contact the Licensing Team on 01795 417 286 or by email or the Gambling Commission on 0121 230 6666 or by email

Enforcement Issues

Any complaints or concerns relating to licensing should be reported to our Customer Service team for investigation.


Public Register

We keep a register of all Premises Licences, Club Premises Certificates, Personal Licences and Temporary Event Notices. Unfortunately we are unable to make the register available online (at this time) but an electronic copy can be provided, if requested. Contact the Licensing Department.

Sale of alcohol

From 1 April 2017, if you buy alcohol from a UK wholesaler for sale or supply, the wholesaler will need to be approved for the Alcohol Wholesaler Registration Scheme (AWRS), introduced by HM Revenue and Customs.

To check if your wholesaler is registered, you'll need their wholesaler Unique Reference Number (URN) which can be found on their invoice.

To check if your wholesaler is registered, you can visit the GOV UK website.

Pay for a Gambling or Small Lottery Licence

Prescribed public notice, review of premises licence under Section 51 Licensing Act 2003.
A to Z of Services :
A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z