Skip to main content

Private water supplies

A private water supply:

  • is any supply that’s not provided by a water company, like South East Water or Southern Water
  • can include things like wells, springs, lakes, boreholes or ponds
  • can serve more than one property

Private distribution system

A private distribution system occurs when mains water is supplied to a site or property which is then distributed to other buildings not owned by that organisation or person.

The residents would then pay the landlord directly for the water instead of the water company, for example South East Water or Southern Water.

We have a duty to register, assess risk and take samples of both private supplies and private distribution systems to ensure they’re suitable for use and meet the standards set by the Private Water Supplies (England) Regulations 2016  (as amended).

Tell us if you’re on a private water supply

To tell us you’re on a private supply, you will need to contact our Environmental Health Team, you’ll need to call 01622 602460.

There is a charge for this service. The fee you’ll pay is set out in the Legislation.

For alternative ways to contact our Environment Protection Team, you can visit our contact us page.

Information and advice

For more information about private water supplies, you can visit the Drinking Water Inspectorate’s (DWI) website. Alternatively, you can contact our Environmental Protection Team by email at You should include:

  • your address
  • your contact details
  • the address of the property the water supply serves

Mains water supplies

Most properties in Swale get their water from South East Water or Southern Water.  If you’re concerned about your supply, you can contact:

We use cookies

Our website uses cookies to monitor the way you use it, helping to make your experience better. By continuing to use this site or clicking "accept cookies", you agree to our cookies. Cookie policy