Skip to main content

Charges for replacement bins

Published Thursday 31 March, 2022
Last updated on Thursday 22 February, 2024

From Friday 1 April, 2022, you'll need to pay for replacement blue and green bins following a Council decision.

Q. Why do I have to pay for my wheelie bins?

A. Due to rising costs and cuts in funding we must make savings and therefore can no longer afford to provide this service for free. The policy has been introduced to encourage residents to take responsibility for the wheelie bins provided and to reduce demand for unnecessary replacement bins. By reducing unnecessary wastage there will be obvious environmental benefits too.

Q. What is the charge covering?

A. The charge is a contribution towards the overall cost of the wheelie bin, administration, delivery and removal of a damaged bin (if required).  The wheelie bins remain the property of the Council.

Q. How can I pay for my replacement bin?

A. Debit or credit card or by cheque – If customers need to pay cash this will need to be paid for using a PayPoint, proof of payment will need to be bought into the Council offices before bins can be ordered.  Unfortunately we cannot take part payments.

Q. I’ve moved house and there are no wheelie bins at my new address, do I have to pay for my wheelie bins?

A. Yes, you will have to pay. If you rent your house from a private or social landlord, you should approach them to agree who will pay for your wheelie bins.

Q. Can I buy my own wheelie bin from elsewhere?

A. No, they must be purchased from the Council to ensure they are of the required standard and compatible with the lifting equipment on our vehicles.

Q. My wheelie bin is just missing a fixing from the lid or a wheel, can it be repaired instead of replaced?

A. We are currently unable to supply parts for bins to be repaired. There are a number of different styles of bins from different suppliers and it would not be possible to determine which part would be needed. We are looking into options that may allow us to provide such a service in the future.

Q. What happens if I don’t pay for wheelie bins?

A. The Council has a legal requirement under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 (EPA) to collect household waste. The Act says that the local authority can define the kind of bin to be used and require the occupier to pay for it.

Residents who decline to pay for the supply of a wheelie bin may be served with a notice. Failure to comply with this notice may lead to the issuing of a fixed penalty notice and possible further enforcement action.

Alternatively, householders may take their waste to the Household Waste Recycling Centre.

Q. I need a wheelie bin but cannot pay right now, what shall I do?

A. Unfortunately, we will not be able to provide a replacement before payment has been received. You will need to dispose of your waste legally in the interim. Household waste items can be taken to the local tip.

Q. Why is there no reduction for residents on benefits?

A. The charge is a contribution towards the costs incurred for replacing the bin. We have set clear prices for these wheelie bins which assist towards the cost of the bin, administration, delivery and disposal. The council incur the charge regardless of the customers circumstances, therefore the charge will be applicable to all residents. Residents are advised to take measures to ensure their bin is secure and easily identified. Charges are only applicable to replacement general refuse and recycling bins. Food waste bins will remain free of charge.

Q. One green wheelie bin doesn’t provide enough capacity for our family. Can I pay for an additional bin?

A. Each household is only allowed one green wheelie bin. Householders who are struggling to contain their waste in one bin should be encouraged to look at the waste that is going into their wheelie bins to see if they can be recycling more. Our officers will offer advice and help residents to recycle more.

Q. Can I pay for extra wheelie bins if I wish?

A. Residents are only entitled to have one green refuse wheelie bin, which we will empty. However, you may have more recycling wheelie bins if you regularly overfill your recycling bin.

Q. I am not willing to purchase a wheelie bin and will be putting out black sacks on collection day – will these be collected?

A. This waste will not be collected by the crews. Refuse, especially food waste placed out in sacks is much more likely to attract pests and dumping of other rubbish, which will affect your neighbours as well as you.

Consequently, failure to comply with the required measures may lead to enforcement action, which may also include Fixed Penalty Notices.

Q. Can I take the wheelie bins with me if I move house?

A. No. If you move house, the wheelie bins will need to remain at the property you are moving from.  You should check on the property you are moving to and ensure wheelie bins are in place. If they are not, you should discuss this with your new landlord or seller of the property.

Garden waste wheelie bins are dealt with differently, as this is a paid for service, and whilst you generally can take these with you, you need to check with us first to make sure you are moving to an area that we collect from.

Q. How long does it take for a replacement bin to be delivered?

A. It can take up to 10 working days for a replacement bin to be delivered.

It may take up to 15 working days if the bin damage needs investigating by our contractor.

Q. What happens to my collections in the interim time whilst I am waiting for a wheelie bin?

A. In the event that you have nothing to contain your refuse or recycling in whilst waiting for a replacement container, we will try to make sure your waste is collected and will advise you on how to present it suitably for collection. Alternatively, you can take any items to the local tip (

Q. My bin was stolen between collections, do I have to pay for a new one?

A. Firstly, please check that it hasn’t been left at a neighbour’s property or further down the street. If you still cannot find it then you will need to pay for a replacement wheelie bin.

Q. How can I prevent my waste bins being stolen?

A. There are several things you can do to help prevent this occurring:

  • Use a permanent marker or stickers to clearly mark your address on your bin.
  • Try and ensure that your bin is brought back in as soon as possible after the collection. Your neighbour may be able to help with this.

Q. What happens if my wheelie bin is damaged by the collection crew or falls into the back of the collection vehicle?

A. If there is no record of the wheelie bin being damaged by the collection crew, you will need to provide us with information/evidence about how this has happened so we can investigate this. If you did not see the damage happening, then we will require you to purchase a replacement wheelie bin.

Q My bin was damaged by the refuse collectors, please can I have a new bin?

A. You will need to provide us with information about how this happened so we can investigate. If you did not see the damage happening, or if you do not have a recording of the event then we will require you to purchase a replacement bin. If the container is damaged and the fault lies with the council’s collection crew then this will be recorded and a new container will be delivered for free and as soon as practically possible. This excludes any damage caused by overfilling, placing inappropriate items in it, or reasonable wear and tear.

We use cookies

Our website uses cookies to monitor the way you use it, helping to make your experience better. By continuing to use this site or clicking "accept cookies", you agree to our cookies. Cookie policy