Skip to main content

Sex Shop, Cinema and Adult Entertainment Licensing


You’ll need a licence if you’re going to operate a sex shop or cinema.

You’ll also need a licence if you’re going to provide a live sexual performance or display of nudity in front of a live audience unless it hasn’t:

  • taken place on more than 11 occasions within 12 months
  • lasted for more than 24 hours
  • begun within 1 month of the end of any previous occasion


To apply for a licence, you must:

  • be 18 or older
  • have lived in the UK for at least six months before submitting your application

You must not be refused  a licence within the last 12 months.


You’ll need to pay:

  • £4,974 for a licence
  • £772 to renew an existing licence
  • £891 to make a change to an existing licence
  • £34.10 to transfer an existing licence
  • £17.10 to request a copy of your licence if it has been lost, stolen or damaged

We use cookies

Our website uses cookies to monitor the way you use it, helping to make your experience better. By continuing to use this site or clicking "accept cookies", you agree to our cookies. Cookie policy