Skip to main content

Planning breaches and enforcement


A planning breach usually occurs if you carry out work:

  • without appropriate planning consent
  • with planning consent but don’t follow one or more conditions attached to it

If a planning breach occurs, you may receive an enforcement notice and have to put things back as they were.

You can appeal an enforcement notice. There is no charge for an appeal.


You can appeal an enforcement notice if you own, rent or lawfully occupy the property or land it applies to.

You’ll need to appeal within 28 days of receiving the enforcement notice.

You can appeal an enforcement notice online. You’ll need:

  • your enforcement notice
  • a plan of the works, if you have one
  • evidence to support your appeal

We use cookies

Our website uses cookies to monitor the way you use it, helping to make your experience better. By continuing to use this site or clicking "accept cookies", you agree to our cookies. Cookie policy