Skip to main content

Following the government's announcement on Monday 4 January 2021, you must follow national lockdown guidelines. For more information, visit GOV.UK. For information about changes to our services, visit our coronavirus section.

Due to essential maintenance, searches for both planning applications and stray dogs will be unavailable this Saturday, 12 June along with some our other online services, like Council Tax payments and missed bin reports. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience.

Guidance for new Taxi and Private Hire Drivers

Licensing yourself

Before you apply for your licence, you’ll need:

  • to take and pass our street knowledge test (SKT)
  • an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check
  • a medical check up by your doctor

To apply for your licence, you’ll need to complete a form, pay a fee and send us certain evidence.

There are two types of licence - duals drivers and private hire. The licence you receive will depend on the score you achieve when you take your SKT. If you receive a:

  • dual drivers licence, you’ll be able to drive hackney carriage and private hire plated vehicles
  • private hire licence, you’ll only be able to drive private hire plated vehicles

We use cookies

Our website uses cookies to monitor the way you use it, helping to make your experience better. By continuing to use this site or clicking "accept cookies", you agree to our cookies. Cookie policy