Skip to main content

Following the government's announcement on Monday 4 January 2021, you must follow national lockdown guidelines. For more information, visit GOV.UK. For information about changes to our services, visit our coronavirus section.

You may experience issues using some of our online forms at the moment due to technical problems. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience.

House in Multiple Occupation

Chapters in this topic

  1. Introduction
  2. Apply and pay
  3. Renew
  4. Change
  5. Appeal


You’ll need a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) licence if you’re a landlord or property manager and your property is:

  • not self-contained
  • occupied by five or more people, including children, who aren’t related, married, in a civil partnership or living together as if they’re married
  • the occupants share things like a kitchen or bathroom between them

You’ll need a separate licence for each property.

A HMO licence lasts for five years.

You’ll need to maintain the property. You can read information for private landlords for more information.


You’ll need to pay £708.50 for a HMO licence or £580.60 if you’re an accredited landlord.