Skip to main content

House in Multiple Occupation

Chapters in this topic

  1. Introduction
  2. Apply and pay
  3. Renew
  4. Change
  5. Appeal


You’ll need a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) licence if you’re a landlord or property manager and your property is:

  • not self-contained
  • occupied by five or more people, including children, who aren’t related, married, in a civil partnership or living together as if they’re married
  • the occupants share things like a kitchen or bathroom between them

You’ll need a separate licence for each property.

A HMO licence lasts for five years.

You’ll need to maintain the property. You can read information for private landlords for more information.


You’ll need to pay £838.35 for a HMO licence or £715.15 if you’re an accredited landlord.

We use cookies

Our website uses cookies to monitor the way you use it, helping to make your experience better. By continuing to use this site or clicking "accept cookies", you agree to our cookies. Cookie policy