Skip to main content

Staying Put

Home repairs and adaptations

Use this service if you are a resident of Swale and are an owner occupier or a private tenant.

Our Staying Put team may be able to help you with things like:

  • Installing grab rails
  • Installing mop stick rails up the stairs
  • lowering thresholds
  • installing key safes
  • fitting smoke detectors

There is a fee for Staying Put services but you may be able to get help paying for them. In order to get help you would need a:

  • referral from an occupational therapist or
  • free health and safety check undertaken by the Staying Put team

If you need repairs please call our Staying Put team. We can visit your home to see what is needed and advise you on your funding options.

We encourage everyone to apply for a grant or loan to help them pay for the work that needs to be done.  We may be able to support you in this process by helping you fill in forms or letting you know if you are eligible for a particular grant or loan.


For a small fee the Staying Put Handy person service may be able to help you with jobs such as:

  • putting up curtain rails or pictures
  • replacing locks and door chains
  • fitting draught excluders
  • mending doors

Contact the Staying Put team to discuss your needs with a member of our team.  They’ll also be able to let you know an estimate of the cost and when the handy person will be able to visit.


We're able to do small jobs but if larger or more specialist work needs to be done we'll refer you to a contractor.  We have a list of local and trusted contractors who are approved, work to quality standards and offer value for money.

We'll check that the work has started on time and is being done properly.

We use cookies

Our website uses cookies to monitor the way you use it, helping to make your experience better. By continuing to use this site or clicking "accept cookies", you agree to our cookies. Cookie policy