Skip to main content

Club Premises Certificates


You’ll need a club premises certificate if you’re going to carry out qualifying club activities at a qualifying club which is one which:

  • has at least 25 members
  • only supplies alcohol through the club
  • uses any money, property or gain from the club for charitable or political purposes
  • only allows someone access to the privileges of the club following a membership application or through nomination by existing members
  • has arrangements for providing members of the club with information about the club’s finances, including keeping records

If you don’t get a club premises certificate when you need one, you could go to prison.


The supply of alcohol at a qualifying club must be managed by the club’s committee whose members are:

  • 18 or older
  • elected members of the club

A club premises certificate may included permission to sell alcohol to take off the premises but the alcohol must be:

  • in a sealed container
  • supplied by a member of the club

Displaying your certificate

You must display your club premises certificate where all members can see it and produce it within 14 days if you’re asked to. If you don’t, you could receive a fine.

Next Apply

We use cookies

Our website uses cookies to monitor the way you use it, helping to make your experience better. By continuing to use this site or clicking "accept cookies", you agree to our cookies. Cookie policy