Skip to main content

We are very sorry to all those affected by delays to waste, recycling and garden collections as the crews get used to new routes and vehicles. Please report any missed collections within two days so we can work with Suez to improve the service.

Exceptional Hardship and Discretionary Reduction Payments


If you have Council Tax arrears, you may be eligible for a reduction in your Council Tax.

You can apply for:

  • Exceptional Hardship payments if you’re already receiving Council Tax Support
  • A Discretionary Reduction in any other circumstances

We may review your eligibility for Exceptional Hardship and Discretionary Reduction payments, including where your entitlement to Council Tax Support changes.


Exceptional Hardship and Discretionary Reduction payments are made directly into your Council Tax account.

We may choose to backdate any payments to the start of the current financial year.

If your application is successful, the amount you receive may not cover all your Council Tax arrears. You’ll need to make other arrangements to pay the difference.

When your entitlement will end

Your entitlement to Exceptional Hardship and Discretionary Reduction payments will end on 1 April each year, or if:

  • your property becomes empty or unoccupied
  • you start bankruptcy proceedings
  • your circumstances change

Changes in your circumstances

If you’re receiving Council Tax Support or Exceptional Hardship payments and your circumstances change, you must tell us within 21 days.

We use cookies

Our website uses cookies to monitor the way you use it, helping to make your experience better. By continuing to use this site or clicking "accept cookies", you agree to our cookies. Cookie policy