Skip to main content

We are very sorry to all those affected by are delays to waste, recycling and garden collections as the crews get used to new routes and vehicles. We are working with Suez to improve the situation, and we’re providing updates with latest information.

Housing Benefit Overpayments

Advice for employers

Councils have the power to recover overpaid Housing Benefit by taking deductions from employee's earnings without the need to apply for a court order. This is known as a Direct Earnings Attachment (DEA).

You're legally obliged to comply with a request for a DEA. If you don't, you could receive a fine of up to £1,000.

If you started your business before 8 April 2013 and you employ less than 10 people, you're not obliged to operate a DEA although you may do so. Visit GOV.UK for advice on making deductions from an employee's pay.

How much to deduct

For advice on how much to deduct from an employee's earnings, visit GOV.UK.

We use cookies

Our website uses cookies to monitor the way you use it, helping to make your experience better. By continuing to use this site or clicking "accept cookies", you agree to our cookies. Cookie policy