Skip to main content

Housing Benefit Overpayments

Paying back an overpayment

We can recover an overpayment by:

  • making deductions from your Housing Benefit if you're still receiving it
  • sending you an invoice if you're not receiving Housing Benefit
  • asking the Department for Works and Pensions (DWP) to take money out of other benefits you might receive
  • asking your landlord to repay the money, if we paid money to them
  • asking another council to take the money from any Housing Benefit you receive elsewhere

Alternatively, we may ask your employer to take the overpayment from your wages using a Direct Earnings Attachment (DEA).

If you receive an invoice

If we send you an invoice, you can pay this online or call our automated payments line on 03300881702 and choose option 5.

Making an arrangement to pay

You may be able to make an arrangement to repay the money you owe.

To ask about making an arrangement, call our overpayments team on 01795 417162 or 01795 417015.

We use cookies

Our website uses cookies to monitor the way you use it, helping to make your experience better. By continuing to use this site or clicking "accept cookies", you agree to our cookies. Cookie policy