Skip to main content

Housing Benefit

Before you apply

Housing Benefit doesn’t include payment towards your Council Tax. If you need help with your Council Tax, you may be able to apply for Council Tax Support too.

You can apply for Housing Benefit if you:

  • pay rent, either to a housing association or a private landlord
  • are of working age and you're entitled to Severe Disability Premium, you live in supported accommodation or you're placed in supported accommodation by us
  • are unemployed
  • you and your partner have less than £16,000 in savings

If your application is successful, we’ll pay your Housing Benefit to you. In some situations, we may pay it to your landlord instead.

What you’ll get

We’ll work out how much Housing Benefit you’ll get based on your circumstances and the amount of rent you pay.

You can visit GOV.UK to see which benefits you may be entitled to, including Housing Benefit.

If you’re renting a private property, we’ll work out your Housing Benefit using the Local Housing Allowance (LHA) if:

  • there’s a break in your entitlement or you stop claiming, even for a week
  • you move home

If we use the LHA to work out your claim, we’ll look at who lives with you and where you live.

You can visit to find out how much LHA you could get. You'll need your postcode.

Next Apply