Skip to main content

Following the government's announcement on Monday 4 January 2021, you must follow national lockdown guidelines. For more information, visit GOV.UK. For information about changes to our services, visit our coronavirus section.

Advice for landlords on renting a property

Gas safety

You must:

  • check all gas appliances using a Gas Safe registered engineer each year, including cookers, boilers and flues
  • keep all reports and records you receive for at least two years
  • provide a copy of the engineer’s gas safety report to the tenant within 28 days of each check
  • provide an up to date copy of a Gas Safe registered engineer’s report to any new tenants

Landlords of house in multiple occupation also need to maintain the gas installation and any appliances.

You can visit the Gas Safe Register’s website to find a Gas Safe registered engineer.