Skip to main content

We are very sorry to all those affected by delays to waste, recycling and garden collections as the crews get used to new routes and vehicles. Please report any missed collections within two days so we can work with Suez to improve the service.

Applying for planning permission

The planning team are experiencing a high volume of applications and as such we will be reducing officer contact for a trial period.

You can use the Public Access system to view existing planning applications and check progress.

Apply for planning permission

There are three common types of planning consent:

  • householder
  • full
  • outline

Under certain circumstances, you may be able to:

When you make an application for planning consent, you'll need to make sure you include certain information, including a scale bar on any plans you submit. For more information, you can download our validation checklist (PDF 535KB) or visit the Planning Portal for specific advice about submitting maps and plans.

If you do work without getting permission, you could be forced to take it down again.

Householder planning consent

You should apply for householder planning consent if you’re going to make changes to an single house, including:

  • building an extension or a conservatory
  • converting a loft
  • fitting dormer windows

You can:

Full planning consent

You should apply for full planning consent if you’re going to build or perform engineering works to a building or land, including:

  • building a separate house in your garden
  • converting a building into flats or any works on a flat
  • works carried out outside the boundary of the property
  • changing the use of a building or land

You can:

Outline planning consent

You can apply for outline planning consent to establish whether we’re likely to accept your proposal.

An application for outline planning consent includes less detail than other types of consent.

If we grant outline planning consent to you, you’ll need to provide more detail about your proposal and ask us to approve it before you start any work.

You can:

Elsewhere on the web

Submitting an application

Biodiversity Net Gain.

When you submit an application, you may need to include certain documents. You can download our guide to read more (PDF 528kb).

If we grant planning consent, we may attach certain conditions to your application.

Development has been found to disturb the birdlife of the North Kent Marshes Special Protection Area (SPA) and Ramsar sites (areas of conserved wetland).  It's important to read our information about the Strategic Access Management and Monitoring Strategy (SAMMS) when considering building new dwellings, HMO's, student accommodation, guest houses, hotels, care homes and camping/caravan sites.

How we make a decision

To reach a decision on an application for planning consent, we may take into account evidence, guidance and policies from several sources, including information that determines whether the site is in a conservation area or the work concerns a listed building.

We aim to reach a decision within eight weeks, or up to 13 weeks for large developments.

You can visit the Planning Portal for more information on the decision process.

You can visit our publications section for a list of the documents we may refer to.

We use cookies

Our website uses cookies to monitor the way you use it, helping to make your experience better. By continuing to use this site or clicking "accept cookies", you agree to our cookies. Cookie policy